View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I just mentioned the minor complaints I have of the vehicle that could have been addressed using the technology they had at the time.

Sure, the car could be made of carbon nanotubes and be powered by a fusion reactor and travel by warping the fabric of space/time, but I wanted to restrain my dreams to something achievable. The car is fantastic. It's fast enough, it's comfortable enough, it handles well enough, gets good enough fuel economy... the exterior is even timeless in that it is not pretentious. It has a 0.27 coefficient of drag, which is still impressive by today's standards. The 6-speed gearbox is buttery smooth and a dream to row.

Much of the other things you mentioned are found in my Prius plug-in. It's a technological marvel and a fantastic vehicle in its own right, but still leaves much to be desired by way of performance, comfort, and general motoring bliss. It does too much for the driver, and yet not enough.

In my view, the perfect vehicle either demands your full attention to proficiently operate, or none of your attention by way of autonomous driving. That is to say, it is totally engaging, or can totally be ignored so that you can engage other interests.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (02-06-2018)