View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
dparker
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
"...pay very close attention to your RPMs. If for a certain speed they are lower, then you are experiencing Pulstar torque, which will change the shift points in your transmission."

That is a somewhat confusing statement. 99% of car have gear ratios, X RPM = X Speed the only way an RPM will change at set speed is through gear changes. The majority of people here drive standard cars I think, and I would hope the ones who dont know enough about trannys to know you cant lower RPMS at a given speed any way besides a gear change.

So, someone driving manual would find no difference in RPM's and that statement only seems to be directed at confusing someone with an auto who dosnt know they have gears constant to RPM. Their gears would vary with load on the car and at 80 km/h. Assume on flat would turn at 2000rpm and on incline downshift to 3rd and turn 2500.

Best case scenario would be someone to think their car spins at 2500 rpm @ 80 km/h due to being on an incline when they checked, then install the plugs and redo the test and have the car shift into overdrive due to flat road and turn 2000 and think somehow it had anything to do with it.

Sorry for the long, mostly pointless post; I just felt that comment was a little off
Sorry for the confusion. A better explanation would have been reduced throttle position. You are right in standard shift vehicles RPMs = speed. In many automatics especially CVTs (continuously variable transmissions) the torque will actually reduce RPM. All have the effect or reducing throttle position.