View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Paraphrasing Elon Musk in the interview: "Falcon Heavy is starting to look small to me".

Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy are already deprecated. They may build out the fleet, but the focus going forward is the BFR. He said they hope to be making short hop flights (maybe barge to barge) by the end of this year.

edit:
I just watched Right Angle: This Really Happened on Youtube. It's a real-time reaction video but I watched at 1.25x. Some thoughts from that:
  • Falcon Heavy looks a lot like the Enterprise
  • Boeing or Northrup would never have Don't Panic on the dashboard display, and that's why they can't do this
  • A real test of the structural integrity of the Roadster itself
  • When Musk gets hisself to Mars, his car is pre-positioned and will run just fine in the Martian atmosphere
  • The space suit is a big deal-'Spandex for every body'
On re-watching, I think maybe even before the synchronized landing (there'll be lots of those) is the shot of the driver's arm on the door of the roadster, with the Earth in the background. That is as important as the Earthrise over the Moon that appeared on the cover of the Whole Earth Catalog.

Also, just before the synchronized landing, You can see the first stage flame out most of it's rockets just before the barge is enveloped in smoke and flame. ...then the Space X rep bounces out all happy and says "We got everything we wanted". What he meant was "...just enough mayhem to keep Elon happy!"

If you're not breaking enough you're not innovating enough.

Last edited by freebeard; 02-07-2018 at 02:32 PM..