View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
A/C cycling idea

I read a lot of posts about manually turning the a/c on and off depending on conditions, and it got me to thinking. i hope this idea hasn't been discussed into the ground already, i did some searching and didn't find anything like it.

basically A/C on when at low throttle(or just idle), off at higher rpms. how about being able to adjust it manually once for your taste?

basically the A/C compressor clutch is turned on/off by 2 wires at the compressor. interrupt one of those wires with a relay.

hook up the wire that activates the relay to one of those switches that turns off your riding mower when you fall off. hook the other end of the switch to an ignition-on power source.

mount the mower seat switch above the gas petal under the dash. hook a wire to the gas petal so that when you are idling around, the circuit is complete and the relay for the a/c compressor is activated. when you press down the gas petal more, the (mower seat) switch opens and the compressor turns off.

you may have to use a spring to make the switch return to "on" easier.

sorry, it was hot outside today and i got thrown off my lawnmower. maybe this idea is a result of that, instead of inspiration.

thoughts?