View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #52 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sser2 View Post
Yes, the key here is "for emission purposes". These grids are not flow restrictors or turbulence geherators. They are electric heaters that temporarily warm up the intake before water jacket warms up the intake manifold.

Venturi is the narrowest opening in the carburettor and the place where fuel is injected. Maximum speed of air flow through the Venturi facilitates fuel pulverization. Creating flow restriction elsewhere will reduce air speed at the Venturi and thus worsen the pulverization.
My theory is that if you really want to avoid reducing air speed at the venturi then your only option is to remove the throttle.

Yes at full throttle any restriction along the intake will not allow the highest venturi air speed. But at part throttle your biggest restriction is the throttle, and I don't see how any restriction along the intake will have any effect at part throttle.

Yes, a dual throat carb can allow the use of a smaller venturi. But I'm not ready to modify the engine to accept a different carb right now.