View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
ronarprfct
EcoModding Lurker

Archimedes screw throttle

I may be blowing smoke on this one, but it occurred to me and I wanted to put it out there and find out the opinion of people much more knowledgeable. I have read that one of the things that limits engine efficiency at less than wide-open-throttle positions is the lack of efficiency of air moving past the throttle (plate, body? I don't remember the word for it for sure, just the thing that throttles the air intake). It occurred to me that something like an arhimedes screw whose rotation could be completely unhindered or even augmented via an electric motor for wide open throttle might be more efficient if you had to slow it down, ie hinder its rotation for less open throttle. Just free wheeling or with electric motor augmentation, I would think it would lose much less energy than the standard-type throttle. Any thoughts? I admit to having much less knowledge than some, but I am not going to stop thinking for myself just because of that, even if I occasionally look like an idiot. For all I know, this type of throttle has been implemented before or someone attempted to implement it before.