View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 01:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
They're perfectly legal here. Up to 500-watts. Have been as far back as they've been selling cheap chinese ones, 15+ years ago. There are some other stipulations, like needing a seat and pedals, but that's the extent of it. My other one is shaped the same as a 50cc scooter(moped, as some of you call 'em), except it has pedals, so it's legally an electric bike!

Back on topic...batteries don't appear to be completely dead. Self-discharged beyond what's safe...I'm trickle charging them at something stupidly low(safe?), ~1 watt, with a "dumb" charger. Either the charger they come with doesn't know how to deal with over-discharged batteries, or else the BMS is blocking them from charging. Probably a good thing, since who knows what will happen if you put full charging current in to a "dead" battery.

The first one has come up and stayed up. I briefly tested that the charger that came with them is now willing to charge them, but only for a few seconds. I want to bring them up gently. The second one has just started it's slow recovery. Fingers crossed, they come back to life and still retain reasonable capacity. I don't think I want to have to try and replace the cells, the way they're basically "woven" together by the bus-bars!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image111.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	23488