View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
LastBoyScout
Sub-Hypermiler

Unhappy Question about EOC with an Auto... :confused:

Hi All!

Im new to the site and new to Hypermiling (although at this point i would call myself a sub-hypermiler).

Ive been perusing MetroMPG.com, Gassavers.org, CleanMPG.com and this site of course

I am slowly learning the lingo and science behind Hypermiling not to mention some of the car/engine/transmission limitations that I will have to overcome.

By no means is any one situation the same due to age and wear of parts, but I feel that I can still learn from others experiences to help with my own.

This brings me to my question. I have been reading about Pulse and Glide, Engine Off Coasting, and Deceleration Fuel Cut Off.

I guess what I drive will help... I have a 1996 Acura TL 2.5L Inline-5. I wanted to get something fuel efficent, but this car was mint and my uncle let it go for half the kelly blue book price, so it was cheaper than a Civic or Metro of similar age/condition.

My question is this. I know that Honda's have a lean burn mode (so Im assuming that acura's do too) and that for an automatic its best to DFCO with the transmission in gear to power the engine since the fuel has been cut off. But can i really EOC?

Well, I got to screwing around (i got bored, who doesnt from time to time) and wanted to see what the car could do, if anything on a EOC. I get up to crusing speed on a nice area right before a downhill grade and kick the car into neutral. No issues rolling fine, but the engine is down to idle speed and burning fuel. Well, lets cut the engine to stop that. I key it off and then right back to the ACC selection (dunno if thats right, its the second click choice, the one that would let you activate the ECU along with accessories). Engine speed starts reporting again and all my usual lights click on, so when I get a scanguage that will be fine, and engine is off with 0 RPMS to verify. I coast down to 45 from 60 and then with radio off to listen, restart the car. I didnt hear any grinding of the starter since it had no load on the engine, and then popped it back into drive. No transmission lunge, jerk, pop, or anything. And to boot, it was already in forth gear. Of course i didnt apply any gas until the engine RPMS went back up for the normal range at that speed.

After that little test, i think that I could EOC with no issues, and even tested braking (had about 3 good pumps left) and steering (not an issue from lane to lane) on another EOC down the next hill.

Is there an issue here that Im not seeing? I really dont want to mess something up on this car. I am already getting around 3 MPG than the updated EPA standard and really think that I can get this car to around 40 just on mods but really want the driving skills and techniques to push past that figure.

Anyone else find that they can do this on their car or currently do this?

Thanks in Advance,

LBS