View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #54 (permalink)
Beginner Ecomodder
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 83
Thanks: 9
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
...Considering that some folks have successfully turned dirt-bikes into street-legal ones there in the U.S. by fitting lights, an instrument cluster and mirrors, and that the XR 150 uses an engine that is already EPA-certified, are you sure it would be totally impossible to get one as a grey-import?
I had a street-legal CR-500 I titled and plated back in the early 90's. At least in Indiana it was fairly easy back then. I've also owned an XR-200R/XR-250R, KDX-200 and still have a Gas-Gas Pampera that were all titled and plated. KTM's were the easiest up until recently because their C of O didn't say anything about "for off road use only" and were listed on the Indiana excise tax list as street bikes.

Every now and again you hear of a fresh conversion but the Feds started coming down on the States who allowed this sort of thing and it's greatly slowed down.

Could a person title and license a non-EPA/DOT bike? It wouldn't be easy. According to a recent article in Cycle World exotics like street-legal two strokes can be imported legally after they're 25 years old.

I'm not sure I want a 25 year old smallbore after the typical use it gets...

I told my friend who lives in Mexico to always bring back a new Wave whenever he comes home but so far he's not done it for me yet.

One avenue for licensing something like a Wave might be Indiana's "Motor Driven Cycle" plates which don't require a title, at least for the 49cc versions. With a little creative fudging I'm sure the authorities would never know that the Wave is double the displacement of a legal "moped".
  Reply With Quote