View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #44 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
I do see a transformation in thinking taking place as the thread progresses, and that is a good thing in my opinion.
Agreed. Some would come with the [line/attitude] "I did this now how do I fix it?" But at some point you have to start making mistakes in CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) or Coroplast.

It's true that a single fix is suboptimal. At least, if I understand correctly, the Toyota HSD is immune to needing gearing changes. I base that on someone's comment that HSD is unaffected by tire diameter, FWIW.

Perfect is enemy of the good. It's hard to get a one-piece wall to wall, front to back bellypan between the four tires. But maybe 3 or four partial belly pans where effective leaving the flatter parts un-panned will get 90%. Maybe a wedged out air dam and modest boxed cavity in back would get you 80%.

Specifically at this point I would look at the [un]parallelepiped defined by you leading and trailing openings. It would reshape the flow but not add or remove energy. But it would have skin friction.

The high-momentum mudflap shown at Permalink #40 is converging, the Bonneville FIAT is diverging.

What happens to the air flow if the floor of the diverter is deleted? What would be left would be two retractable skegs. The force of any ground strike would be along the length of the skeg, not across the whole leading edge of the floor. Less likely to be ripped right off.

Two skegs and a simple curved roof is still an exponential [half-]horn, as at D below.

Last edited by freebeard; 02-15-2018 at 12:03 PM..