View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
Don't be too sure that having an auto that lets you shift would be the same as a manual. Lots of autos will not let you shift before they will. My mom's Mazda CX-5 will not shift into 6th until 45 mph, manual mode doesn't change that. My dad's Mercedes Benz E550 however will let you upshift a little early, letting the engine be around 700-1000 RPM, but it won't go into 7th until 40mph. In my accord, i'll go into 5th by 20 mph or 6th by 27 mph if I don't have to accelerate. That's 800-900 RPM
True, a manual would definitely be better overall, but an auto with paddle shifters would have the benefit of if you ever had a day you didn't feel like driving a manual or if someone else were to drive the car, since few people nowadays know how to drive a manual. Either would be better than trying to trick an automatic into shifting lol.

Those are some sweet RPMs though! My tach only works sporadically (and I haven't gotten a gauge yet for that) so idk exactly what my RPMs are, but I can safely guess they're higher due to the civic being a smaller vehicle. I know it seems to hit 4th gear around 41-43 MPH (or so it feels like) and on that 52 mpg trip I was going around low 40s since there wasn't much traffic, so something must be right there. And of course having 6 gears on your Accord beats the 4 on my auto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
Not yet, might take another year, but it certainly has the potential to. The more short trips you do, the quicker it would pay itself off. If I were one to turn on the heat early, then it may have paid off already, but as is I wait until I hit 186F until I turn on the heat. It also has the potential to make your engine, starter, and battery last longer, so that should be a consideration too.
That's kinda the thing with me though, I'm not very patient to wait for things to pay themselves off which probably explains my hesitation to buy a Scangauge or Ultragauge.

Last edited by mpg_numbers_guy; 02-17-2018 at 09:29 PM..