View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #64 (permalink)
mannydantyla
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
This is going to be a long and personal post, so TL/DR: I'm not quite sure what the future of this Jeep is at the moment.

My father past away several weeks ago and my brother and I are scattering is ashes at his favorite fishing hole in the New Mexico mountains. That means the next overland adventure is locked and loaded.

I'm also inheriting a dozen grand and his 2009 GMC Sierra 4.3L-V6 2wd reg cab long bed w/ 30k. It's in good condition and could be worth $12-16k. 14/20 city/highway mpg.

So I've started thinking about trading it in and getting a new truck/jeep that already gets good MPG and just as capable offroad. The Chevy Colorado diesel get's 30 mpg highway! The 2018 Jeep Wrangler was supposed to have a turbo diesel option but now they're saying that's only for non-US markets. And I've always wanted a Toyota Tacoma, those are amazing trucks, but the new ones are really big and heavy. Actually, it's as heavy as my old 1983 K10 full size! Which I've decided to sell... I think.

So I don't know if I want to keep putting money into the Jeep, or if I should keep it and get another daily driver and then the Jeep could be a dedicated offroader that doesn't to worry about daily driving. But I would still need to drive it to the mountains, or trailer it. And I don't think the V6 truck could pull it, I don't know. Maybe.

I actually have no idea what I want to do.

Yesterday I looked at 60s VW bugs and 70s super beetles, nice ones that could be a daily driver. At the time I was 100% serious about buying one. In fact I saw one I wanted so much that I ran home from work to get my old K10 ready to be sold so I could buy it asap. Now I'm not so sure. Not practical as it has no heater or AC, so I wouldn't really want to drive them in winter. And in the summer I already have a cool daily driver: my 1974 Honda CL200 motorcycle.

Maybe I should just invest the money.

Maybe I could wait to trade in the GMC until VW's new electric Bus comes out... !!

Also, I have a wedding to pay for, a honey moon to pay for, and I'm in the middle of paying for a kitchen remodel. All new appliances, cabinets, countertops, floor...

Yesterday I was working on the Jeep - I was using Evapo-Rust brand radiator rust remover to remove rust out of the cooling system. The stuff works awesome. But when I was putting the new coolant, I filled up the radiator and then closed the cap and waited for the thermostat to open. Once it did, I popped the rad cap off and sure enough it needed more coolant added, but I noticed a little bit of smoke came out of the radiator! Exhaust smoke maybe? Maybe I do have a blown head gasket. Makes sense.

Mo money mo prolems

Last edited by mannydantyla; 02-16-2018 at 12:43 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mannydantyla For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-16-2018), UFO (02-16-2018)