View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

Did you watched these videos (since it was in the very end of page 1 thread) ?

I believe a autoclave made a big difference. But I would like to understand why, what it do to the carbon filaments, or if do some extra thing just to the epoxi resin. It wasn't important they would not use.
It carbon fiber without a autoclave it's weak, not really rigid, why take the expanse of carbon fiber fabric sheet ?

There is a intermediary process, a oven and so without high pressure of a autoclave, but just high temperature, like the one used for produce this carbon fiber chello :

So I conclude there are 3 qualitt degree for carbon fiber shaping, not considering the quality of the fabric sheet.

1-Non autoclaved (trash or almost) and nohigh temperature : Produces trash carbon fiber.
2-Hight temperature (not sure if high as in a autoclave : Intermediary rersults.
3- Autoclave treatment, with high temperature and high pressure combined : Produce true carbon fiber ressistance.

Steel reinforced concrete I can understand, since the rigid steel and the flexibility of steel under high forces make the concrete stronger, as a skeleton makes our body stronger. But carbon fiber... if the carbon filaments of the carbon sheet do not get rigid, the only thing to make the final piece rigid is the epoxi resin. So the rigidity would come just from the resin and nothing more.

I know there is more things, like forces of tension and traction. But we must or art least should expect rigidity for carbon fiber.
People said carbon fiber can be up to 0 times stronger than steel, but all tests I saw was only up to 3 times stronger. I wonder if 10x stronger are reality or just talk.

Is the comparisons based in carbon fiber of same weight of a piece of steel, or based in the same tickness of a piece of a steel piece?

I'm laughing hard with this video, since the carbon sheet looks like a papersheet after epoxy cure :

https://youtu.be/243L3yeoe0c?t=764

Is he making carbon fiber or preparing to cover a book with protective plastic ?
The guy said it's because it'sw just one sheet bu a single sheet steel would never be such flexible. And if the made a 3 layers sheet, it would be flexible if was 3 times larger.

I challenge anyone to prove to me that these home made carbon fiber are stronger than steel. If even the carbon fiber bikes was a joke... worse for impact, for pression of weight and for drill and cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
it isn't always epoxy, there are other resins and binders in use. Epoxy is generally used in the home-manufactured parts because epoxy is not as stringent to control , less toxic, available, cheaper.

I just don't see anybody with a 4 ft x 4 ft x 4ft oven in their backyard to do exotics or ceramic.

remember when GM shaves a buck from each car they make, it is a multi million dollar annual profit.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-19-2018 at 03:39 PM..