Thread: iDuino MPGuino
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #46 (permalink)
cmags
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
Step-by-Step Instructions for Programming the iGuino

I had to do a little digging myself w/ the iDuino.. I'll try to do a bit of a writeup here:

So you've got your iDuino built, and have built your MPGuino auxiliary circuitry and are ready to program. You should be able to leave the auxiliary circuitry connected for this, but the iDuino and the ATMega are all that's required (This Assumes Windows XP):
  1. Go to the Arduino site and download the IDE: Arduino - Software Note: Be sure to use Arduino 0.11 only
  2. Plug in the iDuino to the USB port
  3. Windows will recognize the iDuino 2.1, but you will need to manually install drivers:
    1. Choose not to search the internet for drivers
    2. Choose to manually find the location of the driver
    3. Browse to where you installed the Arduino software and dig into the drivers\FTDI USB Drivers folder
    4. Hit OK a few times to install
    5. It will then prompt for installation of USB Serial Port drivers
    6. Do the same thing, same folder to install that
  4. Once you have the iDuino and USB Serial Port installed, launch the Arduino IDE
  5. Copy/paste the current version of the code into Arduino
  6. Go to Tools -> Serial Port and choose the port (typically the last one, but if You're not sure, right-click on My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports - one of them should indicate USB Serial Port)
  7. Click the verify button, then the upload button
  8. If all goes well you'll see a message indicating so - if not, check that port again

Installing the iDuino drivers was the part that held me up for a bit. It was mentioned somewhere in the forum, either in this thread or the MPGuino workspace, but took some digging. Hopefully this will help some people out.

Feel free to make comments/ask questions!

Last edited by cmags; 10-05-2008 at 02:45 PM..