View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Right, yeah--that was a separate issue. I thought those had all been fixed by now.
Depends on the motivation of the owner. In my case, I ride motorcycles, so airbag shrapnel from side curtains is weighed against the odds of injury riding a machine with no restraint system. Also, my motorcycle awareness translates to my driving behavior as I look both ways before entering an intersection, regardless of right of way. I'm at a lower risk of using the side airbags than most.

Considering the fuse recall now, I might as well kill two stones with one bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Toyota has the resources to conduct controlled, instrumented testing on a dyno that would put all this speculation to rest, and I expect if this goes to court we may see some results like that.
The reprogrammed behavior should be easy to measure by the layperson. I'm able to see the power output/input of both MGs and the engine using a cheap ELM237 device and the Torque app.

Observing the changed behavior should allow speculation to be made as to how that would impact fuel economy.

I doubt Toyota would be foolish enough to detrimentally impact MPGs without disclosing it to the public, but then again, dieselgate.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!