View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
...large solar plants are much less expansive per watt than home solar instalations.

A electric car, Morelli like, with solar cells, could save cost, needing a smaller battery.
Another idea would be a government plan to allow to sell the energy produced by car, when not using after batteries already charged, or at least get energy credits to pay energy bills. It would require a decive to measure and ensure the energy is running to the net, just to avoid frauds.

Sorry, I need to research on web, but the Solarworld N.1 probably have quite better range than 28 miles.

Have you heard about Stella solar car, a solar family car ?
Sunshine in Brazil is probably more reliable than most places in the US. An EV battery would still need to be sized large just in case no sunlight was available. You're right that a solar plant would be more efficient than individual solar roofs, which is why it would be more efficient to grid charge an EV with solar energy from the plant.

I don't want any more government programs, but many utilities here already allow excess electricity production to feed back to the grid. We call it net-metering.

The Solarworld N.1 would get much greater range than 28 miles, but nobody would drive such a vehicle. It's designed for efficiency only, not functionality.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!