View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Oh, hey...it looks like I never continued my story from the first post. Ha! Only took a couple of years to notice.

About to and a half years back, I bought another fixer-upper ebike. Bit better quality than the ones I originally had. Bigger batteries, more power. As she was when I picked her up:

Dead batteries, flat rear tire, plus a year or more weathering to undo, which meant taking apart all the switches and cleaning the contacts as well as cleaning and removing rust. She's been a faithful ride ever since.

And here's trouble brewing:

This is the "bike" I was referring to "still riding around" in earlier posts. It ran well with my LiFePO4 pack for a while, but I lost another cell or two, and it got shelved, as I was out of replacements. Expensive learning experience! I've recently(if 3 months ago is recent) built it a brick of healthy used lithium batteries. For now I'm still using their original BMSs and charging each of the 5 packs off its own charger, as I trust their BMSs.

Brick:

Plenty of room where the big old 20ah SLA's were: (Still room for one more of the packs it's built from)

I also "upgraded" the controller. Somewhat unnecessarily. I was trying to give the "bike" regen braking. Turns out that "EBS" (electronic assist braking) is not the same as regen braking. In fact, I have no idea what it is because it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I did get more power out of it - it's a 40 amp controller vs maybe 27...? - so it has a lot more gusto. The controller is also rated up to 64v...which is good, since the nominal voltage of my pack is 55 and the full-charge voltage is 63. (which is what the capacitors inside it are rated for, so no going higher yet).

I still need to test the actual capacity of said brick, but expect to have 1.25kwh based on the tests already done on some of the cells. Maybe that will be a project for tomorrow...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kaishan 500w.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	23579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooter00001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	23580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooter00008.jpg
Views:	111