View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #1040 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Mom says the local coal power plant will shut down because of President Obama's regulations. I keep telling her it is wrong to lie to children.

From what I have read, it is closing because it is not profitable. The power plant near Page is also ceasing operation for the same reason next year. Roughly 725 people work at the generating station and nearby mine, which is probably significant with a population of 7,600. There is talk of building renewable energy sources. There certainly is an abundance of empty land and a great deal of sunlight. It does not get too hot above 5,000 feet, but it seems like a longshot.

I read about Men's Rights last year. While feminists demand all kinds of things, from what I saw, Men's Rights activists wanted to talk about why men have a far higher suicide rate than women, why women are likely to receive custody even if there is proof they are bad parents, etc. A handful of people gather for a quiet discussion. Far more protesters shout and wave signs. Then they pull the fire alarm.

If they put that energy into a treadmill they would be a cleaner energy source than coal, but no.

I think that there are cases where if you want something to go away, legislate it out of existence, and if you want to encourage something, subsidize it, but it seems like there is too much of both nowadays.

People love taking advantage of "free" money.

I have one perspective. I certainly have been mistaken about things. I always see people with ideas that seem obviously wrong--while I do not have difficulty finding people who tell me I am in error. Most people are wrong about something. Few issues are clear-cut. I also believe there are too many single-issue voters.