View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
In the USA engine swaps are illegal on any vehicle made in the last 40 years or so but it is not enforced by the federal government. Instead enforcement is at the state level and the rules vary. Where I live vehicles are inspected every 2 years so I would have to swap the original engine back in to pass inspection. (Some people actually do this!)
Actually a well done swap wouldn't even get flagged at the strictest inspection. The average smog check tech is just plugging things in to a computer and doing a once over visual. Back in the day before computers there was a fun thing racers did to make something look as simple and factory as possible while actually making serious horsepower. A 283 small block might actually be over 500 ci. A nitrous system plumbed underneath the intake manifold. Factory parts bored and honed to make them as good or better than aftermarket exhaust and intakes, etc. The same can and probably is done today. If I want a 6.7 Cummins in my 5.9 I can make it look almost identical outside and my factory computer will control it without codes. I bet the average smog check guy wouldn't notice even swapping a Honda 4 cylinder for say a Toyota as long as the computer isn't throwing codes. Most people won't want to spend the time to make things look factory and there really isnt much of an advantage to try but it certainly possible.