View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.75 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I can't say for certain, but I imagine the '04 HX motor would bolt up to the '04 sedan's transmission, and have mounts in the same place. Part of why the HX gets great mileage is because it has a much taller transmission though.
Are you saying the taller transmission is more responsible for the increased MPG than the learn burn engine itself?

Quote:
The HX has a wideband O2 sensor, so you'll have to do a bit of custom wiring there. Most of the rest of the harness will probably be the same.
If I had the mechanical know how (I am waayyy too limited in that area ) I would do it. Or try. If I were able to do it myself an HX engine swap would be around the same $ as having someone replace my overdue timing belt. I would have to convert my car to manual too.

Quote:
As for putting an older motor into the newer car, the HF's engine probably doesn't have the power to push your Civic down the road, with the same gearing the HF had, since your car is so much bigger. It may even be less efficient, since it's a non-VTEC motor without coil packs. It was really the whole packaging of the HF that made it an efficient vehicle.
Makes sense, including it being illegal. Plus the mounts probably being totally different. Still like the idea of installing a same gen HX engine though, if only.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)