View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Johnny -

Great post. The numbers are inexorable!!! (I got to use the word inexorable!)

As you implied, the numbers are even better in comparison to getting a new high-MPG car, because you are comparing your costs to a car payment. That's what I always do. Assuming a low payment of $250/month (60 month $13K loan @ 5.75%), I can spend up to $3000 on old-car unscheduled repairs and still come out even. I usually say the "win-win" point is about 50% of that, so $1500 a year is fine with me. My big outlay this year was a new radiator at maybe 135K @ $350, so I am well below that (knock on virtual wood). I think the next thing will be fixing the leaky AC hoses.

instarx -

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post

Oh, *I* could do it (I keep my 14 year old 6.5L diesel on the road), but I don't think *most* people could do what JM did. For someone who has the time and skills this is a great thing to do, but for those that don't it doesn't necessarily make them "stupid rich guys". Maybe they wanted the airbags and anti-lock brakes for their family's safety, which is reasonable
Ahhs ain't got the skillzzzz, so I couldn't do it, but I agree that it's the "right thing to do". The second best thing for people like me is to have an honest mechanic.

When I switched to my long commute a few years ago, getting a used Honda Insight would have been the most logical thing for me to do. But, I like the idea that I am trying to solve my problem with a standard-issue car. That way I am in the trenches with the majority of people, and my solutions will translate to their situation (if they ever ask me, ).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society