View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
My brakes are squealing, but still have some material, do not have wear indicator

I was halfway home Sunday night, stopped in Flagstaff, and my brakes squealed when I came to a stop. I ordered new brake pads from Bernardi's Honda on Monday for $44.30, but unfortunately, they have not shipped yet.

Nobody wants to ship to Page.

I understood wear indicators start working while you still have brakes, but the indicator itself can damage your discs. I took off the brake pads to look at them. I had thought I heard the brake wear indicator, but there does not seem to be one. I will post pictures in the morning. My first concern is that I tried to use a trick I learned from a YouTube mechanic. In one of his videos he cracked the lug nuts, jacked the car, and then used the tire iron to spin the wheel, undoing the lug nuts in the process. However, when I tried, despite my car being in neutral, with the parking brake off, it required too much effort to spin the wheel, although I did not hear anything.

Do you think, even though I have brake material left, that is causing the squeal, and it will go away when I replace the pads? I will take a wire brush and clean all of the rust and everything. I do try to do things properly. How difficult is it supposed to be to spin the wheel? When I removed the brake pads it was still difficult to spin the hub. I jacked up my Civic and its front wheel only spun two times when I tried.
I think I hear a brake dragging, but that is a different issue.
Thank you very much for any help you may provide!