View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #141 (permalink)
ProDigit
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrat View Post
I know I can be pretty obsessive about motorcycle weight (irritatingly so among my friends who ride "big bikes" who can't understand why I like flyweight bikes so much and won't ride bikes like they have anymore) but a vehicle's weight vs. it's power output is a very important factor in how well they perform, whether in outright performance or fuel efficiency.

I found a blog that uses basic math to show how much weight has on a vehicle's performance and wanted to share this with you:

How to Compare Weight Savings to Horsepower Gains | Tuner University

Like I said for me it's not so much about riding a 125 as it is enjoying a bike that you can throw around like a bicycle. If I could ride a 250 that weighed about the same as a currently available 125 like my K-Pipe (around 250# out the door) I'd be on it.
Problem with 250cc's is the power output.
It'll go faster, thus it'll need better brakes to stop from higher speeds.
Better brakes means the frame needs to be sturdier.
A grom does fine at 60MPH, but I had a similar scooter, that I took to 80MPH (downhill and tailgating), and the whole frame became wobbly and unstable!

If you're interested, there are people that have successfully modified the Grom 150cc engine with a Turbo (probably an ihi rhb31 turbo, since that's the smallest commercially turbo available), and a fuel commander; which is about as fast as the tuned 180cc BBK that's for sale for it. (Round about 100MPH)