View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #148 (permalink)
ProDigit
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmaybury@yahoo.com View Post
If I was still interested in that kind of riding, I'd probably be on a gsxr 1100. I don't know how fast it goes, but guess would be 180 mph. I've been to 150 on a 1000 interceptor. Top speed is more a function of aerodynamics than displacement anyway. Adrenaline junky days are long gone. Fun and top speed are 2 very different things. The performance you get out of a 600 these days is amazing, but I do prefer the gearing and torque on a litre bike. You get nice low rpm on the freeway and you don't have to rattle the gearbox so much. The fastest bikes in the world used to be the 500cc 2 stoke formula 1 bikes. I think those were replaced by superbike 4 strokes, but don't follow racing anymore. These days, my idea of a great ride is the wife on the back, a great mountain road, all the gear with (winter and summer jackets chaps and rain gear just in case). In Colorado the weather can change fast. I like the trunk / backrest so she's comfortable. All this stuff makes the bike in the 700 lbs range. Better have a liter minimum.
The first thing I do, when I buy a bike, is gear it as high as I can.
Change the front sprocket, to +1 tooth (or +2 if possible), and the rear anywhere from -3 to -10 tooth.
That way, the final gear is pretty tall.
All the gears are taller, but I can still shift without using the clutch (they're close by one another, but the overall gear ratio increases a lot with the sprockets)..
It's hard to explain, but it acts more like a wide space gearing (like on a 4-5spd roadbike), while it still is geared narrow enough to shift without using the clutch.

Most of the time, the bike revs at around 2k RPM at 45MPH, which is about the same as my car.

A lot of my street bikes reach between 60-80MPG.
If I'm not holding down the front, my FZ-07 does a wheelie in 1st or 2nd gear. 3rd gear is more forgiving, but if I lean back too much, it'll do a wheelie there as well.