View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Random misfire, cyl 4

So, after the tank of fuel that I set aside, I pulled into the fuel station, filled the tank, and went in to pay. After I got outside, I climbed into my car excited to resume hypermiling and didn’t get 200m before I was interrupted by a shudder and then a misfire on cyl 4... car had been running fine since the ignition module/coil pack fiasco with 130k on the odometer...

I moved the spark plug around but the miss stayed on 4, so I’m down to replacing the ignition module/coil pack again(I used a used one with 190k), or beginning the arduous task of removing the fuel rail/injectors and seeing where the issue is...

The misfire is constant, whether at idle or st 6600 RPM/full throttle

Cranking the car over with injectors off, it sounds even, like compression is good.. dealing with compression loss on my Redline has taught me what they sound like when a cylinder loses compression...

I bought a pint of fuel system cleaner and am hoping that fixes things but am not optimistic... and with the snow and cold I’m currently averaging 20MPG... or at least that’s what the fuel gauge and trip meter point to...

My last Ecotec project...