View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
I really love the idea of electric vehicles but its still just a rich persons novelty for most people. I think the plug in hybrid is the way to go though. If i can drive my city miles purely on electric and use gas on the highway to go anywhere i want thats what would sell me on it. Nobody wants range anxiety unless you have a long range and short range car. Plus its so cheap as is it really doesnt make a ton of sense to buy the EV over the hybrid.
A 2010 Prius gets 51/48. Going on the epas 55% city estimation and 2.30 gas here. Thats 1112.79. To drive my 24,000 miles a year. A 18 hyundai ioniq plug in gets gets 130mpge-ish around town and gets 52mpg combined and if you do the same math on 11.35ckWh (local rate avg last year) that ends up being $~850 to travel 24,000 miles. Id also assume the ioniq probably gets more than the epas lazy combined rating system as well. Why spend more to handicap yourself in range to save 400 dollars? Iguess it makes sense for people who drive a ton and get paid to drive but for he average person driving 12k a year that nets them well... not much. I guess on the bright side if you friends want to take a long ttrip you wont get stuck driving like I seem to always do in my Prius ��
I really think Hyundai hs figured out the magic combo. Their EV gets the best city mpgs by far, and their dual clutch gets fantastic highway mileage versus CVTs on average. Also lifetime battery warranties (no replaceable 12v its built in!) But Chevy has some crazy good msrp discounts and tax credits on their vehicles. I can buy a brand new 2018 Chevy Volt right now for 15,500 after the tax credit. Only slight downside is the battery is now literally worth the same as the car. I doubt anything will go wrong though and if it does Chevy will fix it.

Last edited by hayden55; 03-14-2018 at 04:27 PM..