View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #152 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmaybury@yahoo.com View Post
My last 2 bikes had shaft drive (v65 magna and suzuki madura). I liked skipping the chain maintenance. Do any of the small bore bikes come with a shaft drive? It used to be chain=performance bike and shaft=old mans bike. Or in the case of a sportster 1200 like jcp123 mentioned belt drive=performance. Sportsters are very high on the fun factor. That flat power band is great. Does anyone remember the 2 strokes of the 70s? Rd400 yamaha or suzuki gt series. No power at all until you hit that power band then you couldn't keep the front wheel down.
Sure do. First street bike was a RD400, then went to a RZ350 for a bit. Buddy had a GT550 triple.

I've have both - high strung and torquey. My daily rider is a SV650 with a few mods. Gets decent mileage (50+ all over) and has plenty of pull down low.

I do like small bikes best, and have a Derbi GPR 75cc 2-stroke that we ride occasionally just for fun. With the "big" Mikuni flatslide carb and an expansion chamber it doesn't really clear its throat until about 9000 RPMs!