View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
MechEngVT
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.17 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
metro, I always thought a really cool throttle would be a sphincter. Lacking anything else to call it that's how I envision it...an idealized convergent-divergent nozzle (i.e. a venturi) that can smoothly and continuously change the area of the minimum opening to vary the mass flow through the nozzle. Haven't quite worked out the practical aspects of that yet.

Ron, I don't think your idea was taken as offensive. It's just an idea. We can discuss and debate it if you wish, but I *am* a mechanical engineer and in product development ideas only make it to fruition if there is a reasonable tradeoff of performance gained to effort expended on development. I think what folks have tried to establish is that there's no "100 mpg carburetor" and that any throttling device improvements are pulling off-the-wall concepts out chasing a gnat's-ass potential improvement. That's a recipe for "little to gain, lots of effort to gain it" and while there may in fact be some gain there (doubtful in this specific instance) it isn't worth chasing.