View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
There are those on this forum that will say a wider tire will give you less rolling resistance, which I find hard to believe, and haven't seen any information on why that is.
Name them so we can point and laugh. While we explain that Cd is not rolling resistance.

To your point though, the modern trend is tall and narrow. See Neil Blanchard's thread, it's the most comprehensive. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...res-25208.html
Quote:
All else being equal, a large(r) diameter narrower tire will have lower rolling resistance and lower aero drag than a small(er) diameter wider tire.

One reason is that a larger diameter tire will 'bridge' across unevenness of the road better. Another is that since a tire is essentially 'wedging' the weight of the car uphill constantly - a larger diameter tire has a mechanical advantage, because the 'wedge' it provides is a lower angle.
Permalink#121

Forum member Vekke is running them. I would be too, if I could afford the wheels. Prolly 1952 MG-TD wires with knock offs, right?