View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 04:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
LastBoyScout
Sub-Hypermiler

Dont you love answering your own questions...

If I had only waited a few more minutes before I posted....

Exert from my Acura Service Manual:

"Fuel Cut-off Control
• During deceleration with the throttle valve closed, current to the fuel injectors is cut off to improve fuel economy at
speeds over 1,250 rpm.
• Fuel cut-off action also takes place when engine speed exceeds 7,100 rpm, regardless of the position of the throttle
valve, to protect the engine from over-revving"

So, since i have been getting up to 40 MPH in 4th gear (my highest gear) with the auto shifting at 2k RPMS, i guess i will need to down shift into third when i decide to FAS (i think i used that term right even though i dont have a hybrid)

Here is one interesting thing i did read though:

Although, one idea that came to mind, although I dont know how dangerous this is and it would have to be watched to ensure I dont have to restart the engine is possibly splicing into the same wire that the ECM uses to cut power to the injectors and have a manual way to DFCO.

Im not sure that it would be beneficial though.

On a side note, I did order a ScanGauge II this morning, does it have an alarm feature that i could set to sound at the aforementioned RPM? Or does anyone know a way to set up a light to warn me before I get withing a few hundred RPM so that I can downshift?

Just a few thoughts to try and maximize FE.

Thanks again for all this feedback!