View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
You don't need to worry about damaging paint with tape; I've still got tape residue from the Gorilla tape I used to attach a temporary tail last fall, but it will come right off with Goo Gone.
Eh, I'm still kind of wary of taping up my car, even for ecomods. Don't want any risk of damaging it since I do plan on reselling it sometime down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Most of the implementations of your proposal fail in the same way yours would. (sorry).
No need to apologize! I was half expecting it to be a bad idea anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there and see what y'all thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If you envision the airflow over the aft of the vehicle you would see vortexes erupting from the point of separation triggered by things like longitudinal edges and trim. This creates a wake bubble that will completely enclose the construction you propose. The most you get is wake filling.

The way you could make that work (and it would) would be to remove the roof completely and extend it out to the sides with a taped or molded transition. The taillights and license must change to accommodate the airflow.

The reason Bonneville spoilers work it that they provide a surface for the turbulence streaming off the roofline to reattach. If you push the Kammback/boat tail concept to it's conclusion you get something like the Citroen Tubik:
So basically there really isn't a way to do a kammback or boat tail with a sedan like there is with a hatchback or a wagon without completely modifying the car?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)