View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #324 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Yes. And I like mending what is there already. I LIKE the old hardware, even when tattered. I just need it tok work.

I repaired my cabin fan last week. I first tried to repair the motor, but it was not possible to get in without drilling, so I tried tok replace with a junkyard replacement because it was a 1998 OEM unit too. That unit was also suffering a bad bearing. In the end, I got an O'Reilly motor. I spent more money that I might have, and more time, but I hoped for an old piece that worked. I was in the junk yard anyway, so WTH.
Yeah, I'm not above spending money when I have to. I already have a bad O2 sensor heater, so the ~$40 for a new NTK sensor isn't a bother. I had a dirty MAF in the Echo; cleaning did the trick vs. a pretty absurd amount to replace it. Pretty sure the Brakleen was leaving some residue since I had to do it yearly, but I preferred that alternative. Low budget cars get low budget fixes. Excluding only fuel and insurance, I ran that Echo for under $1000 for about 5 years and around 70k miles. It's actually, I think, a good exercise in creativity and to some extent also a decent testament to how these cars will just keep doing their thing.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17