View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

His (Benny) - '06 Honda Insight MT
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Last 3: 78.73 mpg (US)

Hers (Colson) - '13 Volvo S60 T5
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 38.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The closest I could find at New Car Prices and Used Car Book Values - NADAguides is a '98 in my ZIP area. Mid book is $3575 and the high-low spread is small. What value do you hope to preserve?
Based on similar cars' selling prices it would still fetch close to $1K when I'd consider selling it. If I do. It all depends when 2015 or newer Honda Fits come into the sub 5K price range.

And then again later on I may decide my car looks too ugly and want to restore it to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
"So, what you're saying is..."

For certain values of 'modifying the car' YES. You're trying to modify the preformance envelope without modifying the engineering.

However if you allow removing the trunk lid, tail lights and back bumper and storing them in a clean, dry place then the story changes...

Bolt the outer corners of the box cavity to the sockets for the tail light housings and run flying buttresses to the roof, like a Ford GT40. And what XKCD/37 would call a big *ss-diffuser:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Check out the forum's aerodynamic streamlining template, at the top of the page under "Tools". I plugged your car in and came up with this:
Why didn't I think of this.

Quote:
While not strictly 100% true, anything below that black line is in the car's "wind shadow" and isn't going to help maintain laminar airflow.
Makes sense, although I kinda thought the air settled back down over the rear roofline and then created drag after the rear.

Quote:
Marked in red is the shape of a kamm that would help lower CD:
VERY helpful, and much appreciated!! Something I will definitely keep in mind if I can come up with a way to make it attach without drilling and yet be sturdy enough, and also be cost effective enough since coroplast would block the line of vision.

2013 Ember Black Volvo S60 automatic, 104k (Wife's car):