View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.22 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The closest I could find at New Car Prices and Used Car Book Values - NADAguides is a '98 in my ZIP area. Mid book is $3575 and the high-low spread is small. What value do you hope to preserve?
Based on similar cars' selling prices it would still fetch close to $1K when I'd consider selling it. If I do. It all depends when 2015 or newer Honda Fits come into the sub 5K price range.

And then again later on I may decide my car looks too ugly and want to restore it to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
"So, what you're saying is..."

For certain values of 'modifying the car' — YES. You're trying to modify the preformance envelope without modifying the engineering.

However if you allow removing the trunk lid, tail lights and back bumper and storing them in a clean, dry place then the story changes...

Bolt the outer corners of the box cavity to the sockets for the tail light housings and run flying buttresses to the roof, like a Ford GT40. And what XKCD/37 would call a big *ss-diffuser:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Check out the forum's aerodynamic streamlining template, at the top of the page under "Tools". I plugged your car in and came up with this:
Why didn't I think of this.

Quote:
While not strictly 100% true, anything below that black line is in the car's "wind shadow" and isn't going to help maintain laminar airflow.
Makes sense, although I kinda thought the air settled back down over the rear roofline and then created drag after the rear.

Quote:
Marked in red is the shape of a kamm that would help lower CD:
VERY helpful, and much appreciated!! Something I will definitely keep in mind if I can come up with a way to make it attach without drilling and yet be sturdy enough, and also be cost effective enough since coroplast would block the line of vision.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)