View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Welcome to Ecomodder.

Quote:
Oddly enough this is a great place for some aerodynamics advice even though most of you have not seen 70+ mph since your youth
I was talking to my brother earlier today and mentioned my high school friend. We rode his father's black 1957 Buick 2-door from Monmouth to Rickreall at 120mph. If things work out I want to put an Arcimoto FUV on the Bonneville Salt Flats to 100-120 this September. I already have a world class driver['s verbal commitment].

That said though, reminds me of the 90s. I worked at a hard drive manufacturer in Beaverton/Tigard. On Fridays we'd go out in the back parking lot and set up cones. There were three teams and on ours (Tech Support plus the receptionist one hard drive was named after) the other guy took the chassis and drive train. I took the vacuum-formed body, a Mercedes racer —basically a wedge with M-B badging and left the front wheel wells uncut and unpainted but the entire back was cut out. The downforce was such that it sucked dust out of the pavement and left a visible trail suspended in the air like a dry lakes race car.

It turned out the receptionist could mentally steer herself around the back corner, where the control needs to move opposite the actual car better than anyone. I painted it hot pink and pearlescent purple. The bosses wife wanted her car painted that color. Good times.

But heed the words of Bicycle Bob, with dynamic downforce, if it breaks suction, that's all she wrote. Sweep the track!

Where is this run? How long a track?

I would at least consider the Luigi Colani 'WaterStrider' approach

Otherwise, the Solarworld One Morelli body is much admired.