View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I do not want to get side tracked on the equipment involved as I have those portions figured out. Instead id like to focus the topic on aerodynamics methods between two ideas.
Quote:
One of the biggest issues for this hobby is that things are done by visibility... Going much beyond this distance makes it too difficult to see what is going on with the car.
One of these things is not like the other. Is the controller a hand-held with two joysticks or a wheel? Upgrade to drone parts and you can have a LCD screen on the controller.

You know Speed Demon? Why are you constrained to a four-square layout? Who is the sanctioning body? My own land speed design is a reverse tadpole with a two wheel bogey in back. Speed Demon has the long nose for transonic speeds (~250+mph). I went reverse tadpole for stability.

Have you considered Reynolds number? To be consistent with a full size car 1/4 or 1/5th scale is considered the limit. and the air speed has to be doubled at that. Most are trying to extrapolate from the model to full scale. You're going the other way. One Ecomodder greybeard built and tested a scale model in a wind tunnel to test his understanding. Have a look. Err, good luck, the pictures are all behind the Photobucket curtain. Best I can find is this thumbnail

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...6-a-32673.html

Quote:
Currently I am in the process of building a long carbon fiber chassis for the car so I can build the streamlined aero body afterwards.
What construction method do you propose for the shell? Vacuum-formed over a mold?