View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #119 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

It's possible to built Morelli's from this single technical drawing, since the lower part of the drawing represents the top view (cut in two in the drawing).

The explanation I got from a nice engineer :

"The image was copied from an SAE technical paper written my Morelli. It contains all the information you need to make a duplicate. It is what we used. Each cross section of the Morelli shape is a perfect ellipse. That major diameters of each ellipse are obtained from the top view. The minor diameters are obtained from the side view. All the intermediate points around the perimeter of each cross section can be calculated from the standard equation of an ellipse (see internet references).

If you want to create the best possible copy, I suggest you import the top and side views into a CAD program, like Inventor or Solidworks. You can then construct a very accurate 3D model using the CAD tools. It may take some time, but it can be done by someone who knows CAD. This way, you can also use a 3D printer to make a scale model. "

I overlayed it to Aptera Shape, and let the "cut off tail" adjusted, since Aptera cut off a bit of the Morelli's "tail" that should enf in a fine line. It got close, but it's not exactly Morelli.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2hobk2t.jpg

Last edited by All Darc; 03-21-2018 at 11:03 AM..