View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.36 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Anybody else chime in to get your laptop out and start learning how to tune your current motor into lean burn? Only kicker is lean burn isnt really legal anymore since they hatdly ever pass emissions. So yeah you heard that right... you have to burn more fuel to pass emissions.
This sounds interesting, as I love working with computers but the software is probably 100s of $$ and I'd probably program it wrong lol.

I really don't care about emissions lol. I drive more economically anyway which would offset any emissions problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
As long as you're not in a smog problem area who cares. NOx is a local pollutant, CO2 is a global pollutant.
The EPA decided to be the DOTs' lap dog and wage a war on NOx ensuring lower fuel economy and higher fuel tax revenue.
And yet they're demanding more and more fuel efficient vehicles while doing this at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
You'll find that in very new vehicles, transmissions have very reasonable top gearing. I want to say the newest Civic with 1.5 turbo motor have a CVT that can cruise as low as 1500rpm at 70mph? Balto would be the one to ask about that though.

It is possible to go too tall, but it's extremely unlikely you'll find any transmission that bolts up, which is too tall for your motor. You're not going to hurt anything, but you could, in theory, end up with a final gear which is so tall you can't actually maintain speed with it.

In my Insight, the 1.0L 3 cylinder turns around 1700RPM at 55mph, and even at those low revs I can at times see it at less than 50% load while cruising.
The 2015 Civic I rode in a few weeks ago cruised at 1500 RPM at 55 mph, similar to the '04 Sienna which is right at 2K rpms @ 70 mph. Still definitely a lot taller though.

If only the Insight could carry at least 4 people like the 2nd gen one did, and I could actually find a decent one, I would've bought one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Agree with all said already in reply to this. I'll add that manual transmissions are rarer now because buyers don't want to work the gears, especially in the slug-lines of sprawled commuting. Those MTs that do sell are usually geared for high RPM power and such. So now you see auto transmissions and especially CVTs with tall gearing for the fuel economy set. The gearing on MTs, in other words, is not about technical practicality. Rather, it is just a marketing/profit thing. Always. Be. Closing.
That makes sense seeing that pretty much all CVTs and even automatics are rated at better mpg than their manual counterparts.

Do you think paddle shifters on CVTs and automatics makes up for this?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)