View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I kind of agree that this car will get ignored. It's a sedan. It looks kinda like the other sedans Honda has. I used to think the path to adoption of hybrids was through making them normal-looking, and figured the Camry and Civic hybrids would be the mainstays. I sorely underestimated how much many hybrid buyers wanted to make a statement of owning their hybrid, and so the perpetually weird-looking Prius is still the champ. And a nice-enough-but-anonymous sedan will likely end up selling low volumes.

As to Honda itself, actually driving my Civic from Honda's said salad days has been a revelation. I now entirely understand how it developed its legions of fans. The specialness Honda used to bake into its cars is essentially gone, although you can't say they've built total crap. This car vs. the 2012 Civic rental I had showed a really, starkly clear difference. The '12 was a nicer car in a lot of ways, but there was nothing very remarkable, fun, or charismatic about it. It seems like Honda has gone from an engineering company which happened to build cars to just another car company riding on its reputation and able to charge plenty for it (that's a shot at you, too, BMW).

Segment-for-segment, there's almost always a different vehicle I'd choose over Honda these days.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17