View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
If I had an EV the first thing I'd do is order a home PV installation.
Not only for bragging rights ('my car does not burn coal') but also because the extra current draw would allow for a bigger, more cost efficient installation with an ROI in the crazy if you don't zone.

As for now a small PV installation's ROI is still over 10 years for my non-ideally placed house at 52 latitude and there is a mortgage and financial risks to take into account so I don't dare bite the bullet yet.
Solar panel idea is cool. If you were a mechanical engineer and could build your home from scratch and design a mostly solar roof or swap to solar when your roof wears out it would make since. But thats about the only time solar would be feasible. Also depends on location and how much sun your area gets but google makes an interesting calc:
https://www.google.com/get/sunroof#a...=buy&np=21&p=1
Also would need to look at solar irradiaton maps as AR gets a lot more kWh/m^2 (sun energy per area) than say Oregon lol
Really the only thing holding back solar is the cost of entry, and extremely low efficiency per meter of space occupied. (Efficiency is around 18-20% for modern panels and it degrades by year slightly). This is why most renewable power plants choose to run solar accumulation at 40% efficiency which takes about half the space and has no degradation for the most part. Wind power was even worse in the amount of space it occupied lol.