View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
Just my opinion but 3000w is going to destroy a Walmart bike in no time. It's also going to be scary to ride because the geometry is most likely rubbish. When I got my first proper bike it was absolutely amazing to ride and most of that was down to precision of the components and geometry. Cheap bikes deliberately have poor geometry to make you buy the more expensive models.

I had a $1500 Trek that only lasted ~12 months of commuting and that's just with pedal power.

Should be fun while it lasts though
Technically it will be about 2400 watts but you don't have to use it all. I was more interested in the planetary gearing. I just want enough to help this old fat guy up hills and such, I'm not planning on using all of it's 45mph potential. If I can keep normal bike speeds up hill designed with cars in mind, max 7% grades and such, while also pedaling I will be happy. Oh, and with 50 pounds of gear or a trailer holding 100 pounds of animal LOL!

It's why I actually wanted a steel frame bike. I do have a Gary Fisher older mountain bike as well, also not top of the line but a nice bike in it's day. I could swap over to that but we'll see how the Dolomite holds up.