View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
papers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA32R View Post
I'd love to see both of those articles. I've posted quite a few times on this subject and brought up an issue that HAS to play into the optimization question: the adding of kinetic energy. The fuel burned (and not wasted as heat, friction, etc.) goes to two things: overcoming the total resistive force (externally, these are aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance) and adding kinetic energy (we'll ignore potential energy by assuming level ground). It's quite easy to show that to add the kinetic energy to get the vehicle mass up to, say, 55 m.p.h., all else being equal, accelerating 1/2 as fast will get you twice as far in the process of adding that kinetic energy. This argues for the slowest possible rate of acceleration. But the m.p.g. as a function of m.p.h. curve and the engine map argue for a different protocol. I haven't yet concluded how to optimize these conflicting factors.
I found the papers last night,set them out,and like a dumb---,left 'em on the desk as I left the house for town.I'll bring 'em next time.Sorry!