View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
grswat
EcoModding Lurker

Workstar - '01 Ford Windstar SEL
90 day: 20.12 mpg (US)

2003 Expedition - '03 Ford Expedition
90 day: 14.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
Don't tell me its 4wd too...

Go big or go home when it comes to gearing changes.

My mom used to drive a 2012 Explodition EL, she would get 14 mpg with it. She now drives a 2015 Mazda CX-5 and gets 26 mpg. When delivering birdseed with it in essentially ALL CITY driving with lots of stops, me and my older brother would get 13-14 mpg with it. I once squeaked over 20 mpg with it in a city trip, probably the only time that suicidal utility vehicle ever broke 20 mpg in our ownership.

Are you still a mobile mechanic? I would think that a car with a trailer to hold all your tools would be more efficient, but you already made up your mind. Thankfully you came here to find out how to burn less fuel, so we will give you credit for that.

I would focus on things that would help that big engine/transmission warm up faster. Get a block heater and an oil pan heater. Consider making an adjustable grill block and have it completely blocked during warmup. Definitely do the electric fan swap.

There will be plenty of drag from those big tires, if you can make optimized tire deflectors then you can drop tire drag a good bit, and without adding any frontal area.

Attachment 23755

Attachment 23756

Big suicidal utility vehicles like that are known for eating wheel bearings, check yours. Check the brakes too of course, and consider making some brake drag reduction springs.
Yes unfortunately it is 4wd. I looked for 2+ months to find either a 2wd Tahoe or Expedition and just didn't find what I wanted. This one has almost no rust and the price was very reasonable.

I still use my Windstar for work, and it is perfect for that. I kinda let its ecomods stall out but I still use the kill switch and starter and aeromods on it.

This will be used for hauling family/kids and towing cars and eventually a camper. My Dakota was just too small for people and the Explorer didn't have the towing capabilities I needed. If nothing else I have less insurance and maintenance overhead.

I agree with the additional aero mods and the fan swap. I also had the idea if I do change the differentials I could use a significantly smaller tire like a 235/70/17 which would also lower my ride height and kinda reverse the differential change but help with rolling resistance and aero drag.

One selling point on this truck was the front bearings/brakes/calipers/hoses were all replaced a year ago. I plan to replace all the brake lines and rear brakes in the next few months.