View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gringo-Gaucho
EcoModding Lurker

The biggest breakthrough was actually the destruction of the misnomer that these cars come from the factory as efficient as they can realistically get- Ecomodder shattered that facade for me.
As a lifelong efficiency nut- a sailor, kayaker, and long distance cyclist, I live in remote Alaska- fuel is extra expensive in dollars and ecologically, so it makes sense. Also, we hike in to our home around 3/8 mile, so no way to charge an electric car. Next best thing with four seats? VX !
Right now for EOC, I am using the key. Not fun and passengers don't like it, gotta get to that kill switch. I did put in a crappy hot air intake a few days ago, and I now have a partial/full seasonally switchable grill block option. I need some material for side skirts like the ones Gasoline Fumes has- I will check the dump!
BTW, Those compression numbers were dry, engine warm, crank till it stops climbing, mac tools gauge... Interesting that they would be above stock... how is that possible? I'm using 5-20 oil.
I plan to revisit the break pad issue- read some more posts tonight, and other VX's have installed the clips. I think one dragging break is worth about 10 aero-mods.

Other vehicles: 1937 Gaff Ketch(infinate mpg, sometimes!) Cedar Kayak- Miles per... Taco? Trek 500 With over 20K estimated miles(soon to be e-biked I hope), 1998 Tacoma(next ecomod subject) and a 1991 Civic DX that I plan to let go, The VX will be taking it's spot, since it has proven that it does get 20 mpg above the (admittedly UN-modified) dx