View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #223 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
How common is this? Is it remotely possible to DIY?
If your volt started life in Cali it has a 10/150k warranty on that defect.

There are only a couple failures common enough to mention on the Gen I Volt

1. Sensor failure - battery too cold, official fix replace the battery section , unofficial fix can be diy if you ask the French volt guy mentioned below
The French Offer a +20% battery capacity tune in Quebec on 2014 Volts

2. Fluid sensor failure - should be a recall item but it bricks the car with it thinking the fluid level is low, there is a diy fake sensor replacement you install pro actively to avoid this (the sensor is unnecessary as another is in the battery)

3. Bearing cage failure, this is most common on 2011’s it’s relatively expensive to fix but it’s also uncommon

4. Wheel/halfshaft bearings - this is a normal GM FWD problem and easy enough to fix.

By the numbers the Gen I Volt is more reliable than a Gen III Prius but like a Prius if there is a problem it can cost more than an ice to fix.

To understand the volts cost in your area you need to develop a chart of how many and how severe are your “degree days” in your area.

Once you understand that, you then need to decide your habits
1. Garage yes/no
2. Heated yes/no
3. Heated seats enough?
4. Winter trip distance
5. Willing to bypass erdtt?

Once you figure out your habits it’s fairly easy to calculate your cost during winter/summer driving

You may find that because your fully EV 10 months a year, the 2 bad ones you can easily make up for or drive a different winter beater in the worst weather.

I can give you some sample info based on your driving habits and speed/temp
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-30-2018)