View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 01:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel And The Wolf View Post
Maybe, the easiest system would be to place the two engines behind the rider, and join them physically, 90 degrees apart, with a double sprocket idler shaft, and drive a single rear wheel, making it a twin engine trike. Slightly lighter, easier to turn, and easier to license. The reason for connecting the engines 90 degrees out of phase is to have 4 instead of 2 power pulses per revolution. Smoother, and sounds better.
(Something like this

I wasn't refering to a reverse-trike. Well, I'd like to see how the CVT in each scooter motor could provide some compensation analogue to the differential effect, or if it would need some other way to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel And The Wolf View Post
I believe some twin engine aircraft DO mechanically join the two props, so that one engine can turn both, if the other goes out.
It's not viable to couple both propellers to only one engine in a twin-engined aircraft. However, at least in the Piaggio P180 Avanti the propellers are so close to each other that it may lead to an impression that both propellers could move during single-engine operation.