View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

They are actually being very conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
They "project" 37mpg? They have the dang thing in there...put your money where your moth is already. I doubt real world will reflect the same king of efficiency.
The vehicle was chosen as an "example" of packaging ( the Ford F150 being ubiquitous ). Test trucks have real numbers that exceed what they expect from the EPA FTP75 tests and any emissions regulated equipment they may need.

Achates is local to me and I have spoken with their engineers enough to know that this is not a simple remake of the Junkers Aero Engines of the 30s. They are not using any hi-tech coatings at this time, but leveraging the basic designs characteristics, they have reduced thermal losses, increased mixture turbulence dramatically and thus increased flame speed and the inherent rapid pressure drop results in reduced NOx production.

They are not planning to build engines. They are hoping to license the technology to vehicle manufacturers. That is always a problem. The partnership with Cummins and the US Military is probably their best bet as both have real interests in the engine.