View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #566 (permalink)
Bill the Engineer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinzor View Post
Hey Bill what kind of MPG do you think we are going to get in our conversions. I think my mustang will weigh a bit less than the prius did originally but way less aerodynamic. Ive driven it around the yard a couple times but not on the street yet.

What have you done with all the airbags? I removed all the side airbags and cut and covered the wires for them but now im getting a pesky P3107- 214 Airbag ECU Communication Circuit Malfunction code that triggers the big yellow triangle and keeps beeping "check hybrid system"
Good questions! The Firebrid will be heavier than the original Prius v due to the extra weight of the convertible parts. Aerodynamics will be much worse, but the mpg's compared to the old Firebird powertrain will be double at least!

I am still deciding whether to keep the steering wheel airbag. The others have no place to mount (especially with the top down.) I WILL be adding a simple roll bar with base reinforcements behind the front seats to hold the shoulder belts I will be adding. (See earlier discussion some pages back.) The diagonal bruise across my chest from my recent accident has driven home the point that the shoulder belts are a must-have even though the original car did not have them.

The wiring for the airbags that are no longer there will get shunted with a resistor at the connector.

Bill the Engineer
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill the Engineer For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-19-2020)