View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Frank
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Guys,

I'm resurrecting another old post because I'm going to do something on this project this year (I really am!). The motorcycle configuration has been changed to eliminate the saddlebag batteries at the rear. 2017 Frank1 by Frank

In reading older replies I have a question. Typical motorcycle aero rear fairings that you can purchase are truncated (but closed). In post #15, aerohead mentions that truncation should be limited to no more than 5% of chord, or drag will increase exponentially. In an earlier post (#4), freebeard proposes Mair as an alternative which seems to say that drag won't be that bad (at least, compared to having nothing). I'm wondering if anyone has any further insights.

I going to do my best to close both sides but rules limit the max length extending past the rear tire to 10". Am I better off planning to truncate (with shallower slope) or closing down to a point (with greater slope)? I appreciate any insight.

BTW, I've gone >200 mph several times in this configuration. I'm now running a lower voltage pack and I want to maximize speed with about 100 less hp.