View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
superchow
Master of 140 hamsters

Hamster - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 29.41 mpg (US)

Whooshy Wagon - '04 Volvo V40
90 day: 23.33 mpg (US)

Minotaur - '09 Ford Taurus X SEL
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmonster View Post
do you ever get that feeling your being watched by the truck driver? they often weave side to side so they can see you in their mirrors when 5 car lengths back. is there a rule of courtesy between truck drivers where they take turns to draft each other. i've often wondered if they think me only drafting from them is selfish?
Of course, but from their perspective, if I keep a respectful distance then I am actually helping their aerodynamic shape too. I had everything from a truck driver varying his speed by 15 mph to discourage me from drafting to blinker flashing as a "thank you". There are plenty of truckers that waved back at my wife (in the passenger seat) when we passed them eventually. (No cutaneous over-exposition was involved, mind you!)

This close to made my day: Courtesy on the highway! Ever blocked traffic behind you to give a trucker some room to merge?

If we all drove as if one's mother or Jesus or loved one, etc. was in every other vehicle, then accidents would turn into the exception. Imagine it is YOUR child playing on the street when you speed past it going 50 in a 25. (OK, rant over now...)