View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #212 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
OK Finally got around to doing my relay. Was pretty easy to wire up... brake pedal wire turns on the relay (and grounded to a screw behind the little drop down storage box at my left knee) and the clutch cables are wired to the normally connected side, so the brake turns on the relay and kills the connection. So, regren braking without accelerating!

But then, I thought about it a bit more... why don't I skip the relay and just use a roller switch on the throttle body to cut the connection? 3 advantages...
1. Does not engage the clutch switch when the car is basically off (so won't start w/o clutch pushed in... unless throttle pedal is pushed!)
2. Does not require a relay, so no further power consumption and easier wiring
3. Allows regen on downshifting.

So I ordered roller switches.

I also "fixed" my shifter. The button was constantly getting stuck and I had a bad day, so it got kinda... beat up. I had to super glue it back together a bit. The threads are trashes, so I had to put some duct tape around the threading on the shifter and it seems to hold tight now. I also "shimmed" the top and bottom with some cardstock and it seems to not be getting stuck as often. Still experimenting on ways to make it more reliable. Drives me nuts when I shift and it somehow sticks in there, especially w/o the IMA giving me any boost in traffic!

Otherwise: Nothing more to report. I expect some less than great tanks from here as I don't have the IMA boost to help (I'm vastly a city driver... 3-4 miles at a time!) and it's been cold here anyways, which always seems to tank the numbers. But hey, my Forester can't get 30 w/o a miracle, so I'm really not complaining about 70+!